Napavine is a city in Lewis County, Washington, United States. The population was 1,988 at the 2010 census. Napavine was officially incorporated as a town on November 21, 1913. Settlers began arriving in the Cowlitz area in the early 1850s. In 1883 Scottish immigrant James Urquhart laid out the town naming it Napavine from the Indian word "Napavoon" meaning "small prairie".