Marysville is known as "The Strawberry City," as it used to be surrounded by numerous strawberry farms. The landscape includes Mount Pilchuck, whose 5,300-foot high peak can be seen from various points in the city and appears in the city's flag and seal. It had humble beginnings as a trading post. James P. Comeford, proprietor of the original trading post and founder of Marysville, and wife Maria, first arrived in the area in 1878, and paved the way for many pioneer families to follow. The Comefords lived on the neighboring Tulalip reservation for six years, traveling the waterways and seeing to the work of the 18 logging camps. The railroad tracks were laid through the town in 1889, which brought many new residents to Marysville. In 1891, James Comeford incorporated the town, which became a 4th Class city, and Mark Swinnerton was elected Marysville's first mayor. Logging was the primary industry at this time. The Stimson Logging Company was formed in 1891. This became a fairly large company and contributed much to Marysville's trade. Marysville celebrated its centennial on March 20, 1991. In 2008, mayor Dennis Kendall announced that the Marysville City Council had decided to redevelop Downtown to make it more attractive, support pedestrians, and attract new business.