Grays Harbor County
The county is named after a large estuarine bay near its southwestern corner. On May 7, 1792, Boston fur trader Robert Gray crossed the bar into the bay he called Bullfinch Harbor, but which later cartographers would label Chehalis Bay, and then Grays Harbor. The county, originally named Chehalis County, was formed out of Thurston County on April 14, 1854. Its name was subsequently changed to Grays Harbor County.