Kapowsin is a census-designated place located approximately 25 miles southeast of Tacoma in Pierce County, Washington, United States. The 2010 Census placed the population at 333. Kapowsin was founded in 1901 when the Kapowsin Lumber Company built a sawmill at the community's present site. Located on the north end of Lake Kapowsin, the community was a thriving lumber town in the early part of the 20th century, with a high school, shops, and trades, and a population of about 10,000. After a decline in the timber industry, the town diminished in size into a neighborhood center, with a store, tavern, post office, fire station and grange hall. Kapowsin High School was abandoned in 1949 after being damaged in an earthquake.